Thursday, November 4, 2010

Any And Some May 8, 2007

I began reading Whitehead's An Introduction To Mathematics to K tonight, and was struck by Whitehead's description of personal sensations. "Our knowledge of the particular facts of the world around us is gained from our sensations. We see, and hear, and taste, and smell, and feel hot and cold, and push, and rub, and ache, and tingle. These are just our own personal sensations: my toothache cannot be your toothache, and my sight cannot be your sight." I was trying to remember who said we're condemned to a life of solitary confinement inside our own skin. And I was wishing you could feel what I feel when you touch me; that I could feel what you feel when I touch you. That you could hear your voice the way I hear it; feel my longing when you're gone. And then I read: "Mathematics as a science commenced when first someone, probably a Greek, proved propositions about any things or about some things, without specification of definite particular things," and K, almost asleep by then, mumbled: "That's very interesting."

No comments: